My dad is a Fisherman, so fish was always been part of our weekly diet.
Growing up, I didn’t really appreciate the freshly caught fish on our dinner table. I didn’t realise how fortunate I was. But I do now. I crave it.
I don’t like to mess around with the fish though. It’s truly beautiful gently oven roasted with a few accompanying ingredients.
My husband had to have a major operation this week and nothing says “I love you” as a home cooked meal.
* So the night before my husband’s big operation I made him some beautiful oven cooked Lemon and Tomato Stuffed Sea Bream.
Here’s the recipe:
2 whole sea-breams (cleaned and gutted)
5 large potatoes (for the mash)
50 ml whole milk (for the mash)
2 garlic cloves
6 small tomatoes on the vine
1 tbsp olive oil
Couple of sprigs of thyme
Good quality butter (for mash and the fish)
1. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. 2. Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks and, put in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and add salt, cook for 20 minutes or so. (Depends on the type of potato you’re using).
Once cooked, drain and start mashing. Add a little bit butter and milk for taste and texture.
3. Rinse the fish properly. Now slash the fish through the flesh down to the bone.
4. Season and rub with the olive oil.
5. Slice the lemon into medium slices. (In term of the thickness, think a pound coin.).
6. Add the lemon slices to the cavities of the fish.
7. Now add your washed tomatoes to the belly cavity and a sprig of thyme.
8. Chuck in some pieces of butter on top of your fish fillets.
9. Bake in your preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
10. Baste the fish occasionally during the cook.
11. Serve with your mashed potato and vegetables.
* Yes. I know. If you know us well you’ll know fish isn’t Brooks’ favourite protein. But fish will keep you strong and felt appropriate somehow. ❤️